April 9th, 2020
To celebrate the launch of our new company, we baked up some vegan, gluten-free carrot cake that features the Clove Bud Oil product!
We are just a tad obsessed with carrot cake and it's always our go-to favorite when celebrating. This cake is so divine and mouth-watering, we hope you enjoy;)
How to Make the BEST Carrot Cake:
There has been lots of practice making carrot cake. Here are our tips & tricks for making the best carrot cake around:
- Grate your carrots finely! Finely grated carrots meld seamlessly into the moist, spiced cake, while larger pieces create a less uniform texture. Finely grate your carrots for light, fluffy, and cohesive cake slices!
- Don’t overmix. This rule applies to baked goods across the board. Mix your batter until just combined – and not any longer – or your cake will be dense.
- Let your cake cool completely before frosting it. Yes, this is an easy recipe, but there is one hard part: waiting for the cake to cool! If you frost it too early, the frosting will melt, so wait until the cake it at room temperature before slathering it on.
- 2¼ cups GF flour (we used gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup melted coconut - we used our Clove Coconut Oil here to give it more of a warm spiced flavor!
- 2 cups grated fresh organic carrots
- ½ cup raw macadamia nuts (soaked, drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked, drained and rinsed)
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, sugar, and oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the carrots and stir until just combined.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: combine all frosting ingredients into a high-speed blender. Blend until very smooth for 1 to 2 minutes or more, scraping down the sides occasionally. You can add an extra tablespoon of almond milk if necessary to get your blade moving.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before spreading. (It will firm up a bit).
- Store frosted cake in the fridge