If living a healthy lifestyle is as important to you as it is to us, you’re always looking for the healthiest alternatives to common household products. Today, we’ll tell you about homemade toothpaste and how it can fit into your lifestyle.
Why natural toothpaste
Most store-bought brands of toothpaste have unnecessary additives and chemicals that can harm your mouth and your entire body.
How to make natural toothpaste
If you’re feeling confused or overwhelmed, don’t stress. The best option to control what you put into your body is to turn to natural ingredients and make your own homemade alternatives. Below, find our recipe for making natural toothpaste.
Natural toothpaste ingredients
- About 1/2 cup Peppermint Coconut Oil or Clove Coconut Oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 capsule of activated charcoal (optional)
Natural toothpaste instructions
- Melt or slightly soften the coconut oil.
- Mix in other ingredients and stir well. If using semi-hard coconut oil, use a fork, if not, use a spoon. If you are using completely melted coconut oil, you will need to stir several times while the mixture cools to keep the baking soda incorporated
- Put the mixture into a small glass jar.
- Let cool completely, and don’t be alarmed that it is black in color; that’s just the charcoal if you choose to use it!
Using your natural toothpaste
Before you brush your teeth, we recommend adding oil pulling, tongue scraping, and flossing to your daily dental hygiene routine. This helps remove toxins that live throughout your mouth before you focus more specifically on your teeth. Then, to use your toothpaste, simply dip your toothbrush in and scrape a small amount of the paste onto the bristles. Or, if you’d prefer, you can also use a small spoon to apply the paste to your toothbrush.
Once you’ve used this natural toothpaste recipe for a while, let us know what you think of it!