12 Karmic Laws
What is Karma? Karma is the Sanskrit word for action. It is equivalent to Newton’s law of ‘every action must have a reaction’. When we think, speak or act we initiate a force that will react accordingly. In Hinduism and Buddhism, karma is the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
Here are the laws of karma and how they play a role in our lives:
- The Law of Cause and Effect (Great Law)- Our actions and thoughts have consequences, good or bad. If we desire peace, joy, prosperity, or love, we must be willing to act in the according way. Whatever we put out into the universe comes back to us. All our thoughts, actions and feelings, no matter how subconscious, generate a force that then returns.
- The Law of Creation- what we desire, comes through participation. What we surround ourselves with, becomes a part of us. We are all one with the Universe. If your surroundings don’t reflect what you wish to see, first make the change internally to reach the external change.
“Situations seem to happen to people, but in reality, they unfold from deeper karmic causes. The universe unfolds to itself, bringing to bear any cause that needs to be included. Don’t take this process personally. The working out of cause and effect is eternal.”- Deepak Chopra
- The Law of Humility- Refusal to accept what is will continue to come. We must accept the present circumstances in order to change them. If we keep viewing something as bad, or a person with a character we believe is negative, then we begin to harbor that energy within us. Instead, put the awareness onto the self and understand that everyone is just on their own journey.
- The Law of Growth- True change on the outside only comes when we commit to change what’s on the inside. To grow spiritually, we must first become conscious of our thoughts. Nobody can make us feel a certain way unless we allow them to. When we change who we are within, our hearts, mind, and everything around us will change too. Never stop evolving.
- The Law of Responsibility- Take responsibility for your actions and your thoughts. We mirror what surrounds us. We must take responsibility for what’s in our lives. Life mirrors all that surrounds around us, and what surrounds us mirrors life. This is a Universal truth and is the same for everything in this existence. Everything that happens to us happens to help us to grow and we must take responsibility in order to get there. Whenever there is something wrong in my life, there is something wrong with me.
- The Law of Connection- Everything in the Universe is connected. Our past, present, and future are all connected. We are connected to every living organism.
- The Law of Focus- We must direct our full attention to a single task to fully achieve it. We become what we think about most which is why it is so important to be aware of our thoughts. By focusing on the negative, you bring more negativity into your life, just the same as when you focus on the positive.
- The Law of Giving and Hospitality- Demonstrating our selflessness shows our true intentions. What we claim to believe must manifest with our actions. Without selflessness, true spiritual growth is nearly impossible.
- The Law of Here and Now- The present moment is all we have. It is important to stay present throughout life. If you are depressed, you are living in the future. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the moment.
- The Law of Change- History repeats itself unless changed. History has a funny way of repeating itself until we learn the lesson that is being presented to us.
- The Law of Patience and Reward- Nothing of great value is created without patience. It’s all about the journey, not the destination. We must remember to trust the Universe whose timing is always divine.
- The Law of Significance- The true value of something is a direct result of the intent and energy we put into it. Every personal contribution is also a contribution to the Whole.